Are You Compliant?
Hazard Solutions: IATA Dangerous Goods Training Reminder Alert
by Art Mahoney, M.S., CHMM, REA
December 5, 2005
Greetings EH&S Clients and Colleagues:
As most of you probably already know, if you ship dangerous goods by air, you are legally responsible to provide dangerous goods training to all employees involved in the shipping process.
• Did you know that dry ice is a dangerous good?
• Did you know that employees shipping dangerous goods must receive initial as well as recurrent training every 24 months (as opposed to 3 year requirement of Department of Transportation)?
Expect Greater Scrutiny of Your Program
The Government Accounting Office (GAO) recently issued a report concluding that the Transportation Security Agency (TSA) needs to do a better job inspecting air cargo. Here are some recent headlines from the last week:
- “TSA criticized over air cargo policy” - CNN
- “Air Cargo Vulnerable” - CBS News
- “Unscreened Air Cargo May Pose Security Threat” – Los Angeles Times
What Does this Mean to You?
More frequent inspections of your dangerous goods packages and your training programs. Penalties can be very high and be a severe blow to a company!
An Easy Way to Comply
Contact me and I would be happy to provide you a quotation for my special IATA Dangerous Goods Training Program customized to the dangerous goods that you ship. Save money and time. You do not need to send your employees away to offsite training courses which may last three days! The program I offer can be completed in a single 8 hour session at your facility.
What makes my program especially valuable is that it is specific to what you ship and it is presented by me, an expert in the field.
Trained by an Expert in the Field
My credentials include:
- 15 years of experience assisting public and private companies to comply with hazardous material management, transportation and safety concerns
- MS in chemistry from University of California, Berkeley
- Certified Hazardous Materials Manager (Masters Level)
- Registered Environmental Assessor
IATA Dangerous Goods training is just one of the many services that I offer my clients. Please feel free to contact me about other services at 650.347.0417 or e-mail at email@example.com.
Kind Regards and Good Luck
Arthur Mahoney, MS, CHMM, REA